Adoption Procedure & Application
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a valid photo ID.
- Must have landlord approval.
- Must have proof of vaccines for any other animals living at residence.
- Fill out our Adoption Survey. If you have previously been approved to adopt with OTAT PDX, please fill out this update form to apply for a different dog. If you do not know your unique ID, please email ID@otatpdx.org.
- An Adoption Counselor (AC) will screen and review your application as soon as possible. The AC will then contact you and answer any questions you may have and hopefully set up an introduction to meet the dog. All dogs spend a minimum of one week in a foster home before they are available for introductions, but all things being equal introductions are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.
- If all goes well at the introduction, the AC will finalize the adoption.
- Adoptions may take place immediately if the prospective dog gets along well with all members of the family.
- Our adoption fees are $500 for puppies 6 months and younger, $450 for puppies 7-12 months, $400 for adult dogs, and $300 for seniors over the age of 7 years. We also offer a special $100 donation fee for seniors (humans 65+) adopting seniors (dogs 7+). All fees cover wellness exam, spay/neuter, age-appropriate vaccinations, heartworm test, deworming, and microchip.
- At the finalization you will receive your new companion’s medical records, a copy of our adoption contract, and information about our community partners and continuing discounts. It is also at the finalization that the dog’s adoption fee must be paid and all supplies returned to the rescue.
- After adopting an OTAT PDX dog, you will receive benefits and support for the lifetime of the dog!
Adding a new companion to your life and ready to make it official? Click here to pay for their adoption fee.
$500 puppies 6 months and younger
$450 puppies 7 – 12 months
$400 adult dogs
$300 seniors 7 years and older
$100 seniors (humans 65 years+) adopting seniors (dogs 7 years+)
* $100 deposit at our discretion, determined on a case-by-case basis, for dogs needing additional training that we will reimburse upon proof of completed humane positive-reinforcement based classes or sessions.
*$200 deposit for dogs that are not yet spayed or neutered due to age or medical condition upon adoption, to be completed by our vet of choice at our discretion.
Foster to Adopt
If you are an approved adopter and would like to join the Foster to Adopt program, please review the details of this program here.